Skip to content ↓

School History

1805 Catherine Mather left £400 to pay for the education of 6 poor boys and 6 poor girls in the Parish of Headington. A small school opened at the Chquers Inn at Quarry Village.
1811 Foundation of the National Society for promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church.
1839 Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools first appointed
1847 March - Land granted for a National School by Charles Tawney. National Society awarded a grant to build the school. April - THomas Grimsley designed the school.
1847-8 National School opened on London Road. Master - John Bird
1849 Headington Quarry became a separate parish.
1862 Lowe's revised Code of Practice - 'Payment by Results' system.
1863 Henry Franklin became Master of the National School.
1864 Headington Quarry National School opened.
1868 Jan - Samuel Vallis became Master of the National School.
1870 Forster's Education Act
1871 Jan - Thomas Yeates became Master of the National School.
1873 Nov - New Headington Infant School opened in Perrin Street.
1874 Free School closed on the death of James Waring.
1875 Boys' and Girls' National Schools became separate. Harriet Crozier (later Mrs Yeates) became Mistress of the Girls' School.
1878 George Stace bacme Master of the Boys' School.
1890 Abolition of 'Payment by Results'.
1891 Goschen Act gave grants to elementary schools which stopped fees.
1892 June - Mary Anne Jordan became Mistress of the Girls' School. Nov - Elizabeth Hewitt became Mistress of the Girls' School.
1893 School leaving age raised to 11.
1894 June - Foundation stone of new National Schools laid. Nov - New National Schools (one for boys and one for girls) opened. The buildings were in front of the old school, half of which was demolished.
1908 Sep - New Headington's first Council School opened in Margaret Road. Mrs Price transferred there with the infants. New Headington Infant School closed.
1928 More land purchased to the east and south of the school and a second school erected. This Headington Senior School took children up to age 14 from the junior section next door and from Quarry. The remains of the 1847 building were demolished.
1936 Senior School closed. Seniors then went to Headington Senior School in Margaret Road. 2 London Road schools were joined together by a connecting entrance to form Headington Junior Mixed and Infant School.
1961 The school adopted the new name of St Andrew's Church of England Primary School.
1975 Oxford City adopted a 3 tier system of education so the school became St Andrew's First School for children aged 5 - 9 years.
2002 Oxford began the process of returning to the 2 tier system of education and so the Year 5 children stayed on at St Andrew's instead of moving onto Middle Schools. 2 new classrooms and a new staff room had been built over the summer to accomodate them.
2003 July - Middle Schools in Oxford close. Sept - the school became St Andrew's Church of England Primary School again, taking children from Reception (4 years) to age 11. The Year 6 children remained as the eldest in the school for the third year running.